The Devonport Arts Festival Trust works alongside multiple community groups, individuals, businesses, artists, musicians and writers to create this hearty programme offering an event for every person. The arts festival operates on huge goodwill and participants share a mutual love for the arts, recognising the inarguable link between art and happiness. We love art and know that you do too. Show your support and come and join the fun.
Exhibitions, Openings & Artist Talks
Children & Family
Theatre & Music
Hands on Art
- 1X1 Exhibition and Opening, Pavilion Architecture Studio, an Arts Fest Fundraiser: A collection of 1.0m x 1.0m works by local, national and emerging artists. Exhibition Opens Saturday April 1st at 2pm. Where: Pavilion architecture Studio 11 Clarence Street. When: Viewing 9am-8pm Daily.
- Fragments by David Barker, The Depot: Explore Barker’s fascination with water, clouds and other natural elements. Where: The Depot 28 Clarence Street. When: Daily from 10-5pm.
- David Barker Artist Talk, The Depot: Exhibiting artist David Barker will be present to discuss his latest exhibition Fragments, painting on seashells, sheds, ships and skyscapes. Where 28 Clarence Street. When: Sunday 2nd Apr: The Depot, 2pm.
- 3 Moons of Xenon by Christian Nicolson, Art by the Sea Gallery: Chris Nicolson will be opening his new mixed-media art exhibition which will be running until April 16th. Exhibition opens Sat April 1st, 3pm. Where: Art by the Sea Gallery, 30 King Edward Parade. When: Daily 10-5pm.
- Ceramics Exhibition by Ann O’Sullivan, Corelli’s Café: View local ceramicist Ann O’Sullivan’s works at Corelli’s Café. Where: Corelli’s Café, 46 Victoria Road. When: Open 7am until late daily.
- Rae West Exhibition, Flagstaff Gallery: View the new works by NZ abstract artist Rae West. Where: Flagstaff Gallery, 30 Victoria Road. When: Open daily 10-5pm.
Children & Family
- Pop up Cardboard Adventure Playground, corner of Wynyard and Clarence Street: Come and enjoy the Arts Festival opening event and get your kids making and creating their own cardboard playground. There will be masses of cardboard boxes, tubes, fabric, loose parts, paints and tape. Cut, change, create, play and innovate – child led art creation. Where: Corner of Clarence & Wynyard Streets When: April 1st, 11-3pm.
- Street Art Event, Wynyard Street: Bring the family and watch art in action as we turn Wynyard Street into Devonport’s art corridor. Where: Various locations, Wynyard Street. When: April 1st, 1-3pm.
- Devonport Arts Festival Handmade Market and Art Demonstrations, Harmony Hall: Learn the art of spinning and weaving, harakeke weaving or see the Devonport Leisure Painters in action. Join the crafters inside Harmony Hall to find treasures and gifts in our Devonport Arts Fest handmade market. Where: Harmony Hall, Wynyard Street When: April 1st, 11-3pm.
- Residential Art Trail, various locations Devonport: Follow the art trail map to view a village transformed by artistic talent. The tour is appropriate for walkers (approx. 1 hour) and cyclists (30mins). Where: Various residences in Devonport (see the Art Trail webpage). When: Whenever you like.
- Residential Art Trail Bike Tours, with Bike Devonport: Turn up to the Arts Fest opening day on your bike, enjoy the valet bike parking, and join community group Bike Devonport on led tours of the residential art trail. Where: Park up outside the Village Grocer. When: 1 April, 11-3pm.
- Arts Festival Rhyme time, Devonport Library: Join much adored children’s librarian June for a special arts fest themed rhyme time. Where: Devonport Library, Victoria Road. When: Monday 3rd April, 10am.
- Change, A Vauxhall School Installation, various locations Play, move and create quirky characters with the Vauxhall School NZSoS exhibition. Where: Various locations in village. When: Daily.
- John Dawson Bowl Night, Corelli’s Café: Enjoy a 3 course Italian meal and keep the bowl made by ceramicist John Dawson. Where: Corelli’s Café, 46 Victoria Road. When: Evening April 6th Cost: $50.
- Residential Art Trail by Segway: Experience the art of Devonport and the awesome sensation of riding on a segway. Where: Magic Broomstick Segways, call 027 3393155 to book. Or leave from Wynyard Street Sat 1st. When: 1 April 11-3pm, from Wynyard Street art party.
Theatre & Music
- Anna Hawkins – The Bold, Brave & Beautiful Tour, The Vic: Known for expressive vocals, Anna brings a classical edge to the world of folk and pop. Where: The Vic, Victoria Road. When: April 8th, 8pm. Cost: $30 from venue.
- Maison de Tease Burlesque Show, The Vic: Immerse your senses in the art of both classic and modern styled Burlesque dance, featuring some of NZ's top burlesque performers from all around the country. Where: The Vic, Victoria Road. When: April 7th, 8pm. Cost: $35 + booking fee.
- Nathan James Quartet, Esplanade Bar: Join others guests at the Esplanade Bar for a night of Soul. Where: Esplanade Bar, 1 Victoria Road. When: April 8th, 6-9pm.
- Tom Rodwell Duo, Esplanade Bar: Blues artist Rodwell is known to disregard musical convention in favour of soul-probing, raw, avante-garde improvisation. Where: Esplanade Bar, 1 Victoria Road. When: April 9th, 6-9pm.
- Weed, by Anthony McCarten, Rose Centre Theatre: Company Theatre presents a brilliant Kiwi Comedy. Follow middle aged ordinary kiwi farmers, Jack and Henry, as they attempt to become mortgage free thanks to a crop of marijuana. Where: Rose Centre Theatre, School Road, Belmont. When: 5-8th April, 8pm. Cost: $25
- The Book Quartet - A conversation with four local authors, The Vic: Hannah Tunnicliffe (A French Wedding), Ann Glamuzina (Rich Man Road), Karen Breen (Sleep Sister) and Karen McMillan (The Paris of the West) in conversation with MC, author and media personality David Slack. Book signings available after event. Tickets include free wine/beer. Where: The Vic, Victoria Road. When: April 1st, 5.30-7.30pm. Cost: $15 presale, $20 on the Door.
Hands on Art
- Opening Day Art Stations, various locations Wynyard Street: Join us at our opening day event and have a go at Harakeke weaving, chalk up characters on the streets, make your own bookmarks and learn to paint leisurely! Where: Wynyard Street. When: Saturday April 1st, 11-3pm. Who: Children & Families
- Collaborative Painting Workshop, Kerr Street Art Space: Demystify ideas and processes behind modern art. In this two-hour experimental workshop, artist Sam Melser will facilitate collaborative creativity by guiding you through making your own (collaborative) works of art, which you can take home and put on your wall. Prior experience with painting is preferred though not essential yet the experimental spirit is! 16 + years, max 12 people. Where: Kerr Street Artspace, Mount Vic. When: Saturday April 1st, 2-4pm. Who: 16+ Years. Max 12 people. Cost: $20 upon arrival – book your place by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Adult Colouring Session, Devonport Library: Join Devonport Librarian Jeanne for a group colouring session. Where: Devonport Library, Victoria Road. When: Wednesday 5th, 10am.
- Have a go at the Wheel, Ceramic College: Test your clay bending skills and have a go on the wheel with the help of two ceramic tutors. Where: Ceramic College, 159 Bayswater Ave. When: April 1st, 1-3pm. Cost: Free or $20 to have your piece fired: these will need to be collected 3 weeks later.
- Patchwork – English Paper Piecing at the Devonport Community Recycling Centre: Reuse donated fabric and materials from the Recycling Centre and learn to create a patchwork piece (cushion cover or bag) using English paper piecing. Where: Devonport Community Recycling Centre, 27 Lake Road. When: April 1st & 9th, 12-2pm. Who: Adults and children 8years up welcome. Free. 27 Lake Road.